Monday, August 28, 2006

Back to School...and how it came about

The beautiful Loyola Campus at Concordia


Well I've been on a gap year from school for the last three years but the time has come for me to return. In a week I start school at Concordia University in Montreal and Je suis tres contente. Im going to be doing a Major in etudes Francaise (French) and a minor in Theatre. It's weird to think how this has all come around. I'll do a quick back track for you.

Two years ago I moved to Vancouver for a year and worked at a Swiss Chalet restaurant. Three months after starting I was promoted to superviser and shortly after that became a manager. Before I knew it I was running the restaurant with my best friend Alex (aka Frenchie). My friends kept telling me that Alex liked me but I kept telling them that we were just friends. It took me a few months to realise that we were more than good friends. After trying Alexs patience as much as anyone could I finally realised that I was in love with Frenchie. We got together and everyone was glad I'd finally caught on. The only problem was that I was flying back home in two months because my visa was expiring. We decided to enjoy the next couple months together and figure the rest out later.

Just before I was due to fly home Alex decided that he was going to move back to Montreal. We talked it over and thought it would be great if I joined him. However I still had to go back to NZ and save up some money. So in July 2005 after being away for a year I flew back to my home and family. I got a job as a bartender at the Cock and Bull and worked so hard (a little too hard, I got myself a kidney infection) But after four months I managed to save up enough to get back to Montreal.

Me and the "cock" girls

In November 2005 I flew back to my home of Canada and spent time with my friends in Vancouver, then I flew to the wonderful country of Quebec. Alex and I hadn't seen eachother in four months so I was a little nervous but the minute I saw him I completely relaxed. Over the next few months I ventured out around beautiful Montreal. As fate would have it my old neighbour Sarah (she lived next to me in NZ when I was 6 years old) also lived in montreal so we started hanging out again which was great. One day we were sitting in Burger King with Andy, another Kiwi, and talking about how on earth I was going to stay in Montreal. You see I was only in canada on a 6 month visa, and for obvious reasons didnt want to leave. My friend mentioned going to uni, but I couldnt afford it (no trust fund for Kelly) but she said that if you do the french degree you only have to pay Quebec fees ($3500 a year) and I checked it out and she was right. So I enrolled and have been sorting out immingration and everything for the past few months and now Im about to start school.

Ok, so that wasnt really a short back track but it explains everything. I just can't believe that Im actually going to school in Canada, its a real blessing. Im looking forward to this new chapter in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home